A. The driver of the vehicle

B. The registered keeper of the vehicle

C. The car dealer

D. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

The registered keeper of the vehicle is responsible for paying the vehicle excise duty or making a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN) if the vehicle is to be kept untaxed and off the road.


A. The registered keeper

B. The type of insurance cover

C. The service history details

D. The date of the MOT

Every vehicle used on the road has a registration document. This shows the vehicle’s details, including date of first registration, registration number, registered keeper, previous keeper, make of vehicle, engine size, chassis number, year of manufacture and colour.




A. Third party, fire and theft

B. Comprehensive 

C. Third-party only 

D. Personal injury cover 

The minimum insurance required by law is third-party cover. This covers your liability to others involved in a collision but not damage to your vehicle. Basic third-party insurance also won’t cover theft or fire damage. Ask your insurance company for advice on the best cover for you and make sure that you read the policy carefully.

A. Until the vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped

B. Until the vehicle is insured and MOT’d

C. Until the vehicle is repaired or modified

D. Until the vehicle is used on the road


A SORN allows you to keep a vehicle off-road and untaxed. SORN will end when the vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped.



A. The registered vehicle keeper

B. The vehicle manufacturer

C. Your insurance company

D. The licensing authority

It's your legal responsibility to keep the details on your vehicle registration certificate (V5C) up to date. You should tell the licensing authority about any changes. These include your name, address or vehicle details. If you don’t do this, you may have problems when you try to sell your vehicle.

A. That the vehicle owner has third-party insurance cover

B. That your own vehicle has insurance cover

C. That the vehicle is insured for your use

D. That the insurance documents are in the vehicle

Driving a vehicle without insurance cover is illegal, so be sure that, whoever's car you drive, you're insured – whether on their policy or on your own. If you need to take out insurance, it's worth comparing several quotes before you decide which insurance provider best meets your needs.

A. The vehicle service record


B. The vehicle insurance

C. The vehicle tax

D. The vehicle registration document

If your vehicle requires an MOT certificate, it’s illegal to drive it without one and your insurance may be invalid if you do so. The only exceptions are that you may drive to a pre-arranged MOT test appointment, or to a garage for repairs required for the test.

A. They must display green L plates


B. They must have a new photograph taken for their full licence

C. They must be accompanied on their first motorway journey

D. They must have valid motor insurance

It's your responsibility to make sure you're properly insured for the vehicle you're driving. This is the case regardless of whether you're a newly qualified driver or one with more experience.

A. Damage to your vehicle

B. Fire damage to your vehicle

C. Flood damage to your vehicle

D. Damage to other vehicles

Third-party insurance doesn’t cover damage to your own vehicle or injury to yourself. If you have a crash and your vehicle is damaged, you might have to carry out the repairs at your own expense.

A. When you get a parking ticket

B. When you change your vehicle

C. When you use your vehicle for work

D. When your vehicle's insurance is due

DVLA needs to keep its records up to date. It sends out a reminder when a vehicle's tax is due for renewal. To do this, it needs to know the name and address of the registered keeper. Every vehicle in the country is registered, so it’s possible to trace its history.

A. When your health affects your driving


B. When you have to work abroad

C. When you lend your vehicle to someone

D. When your vehicle needs an MOT certificate

DVLA holds the records of all vehicles, drivers and riders in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. They need to know if you have a medical condition that might affect your ability to drive safely. You must tell them if your health deteriorates and you become unfit to drive.

A. When you're under 25 years old


B. When you don't wear glasses

C. When you pass the driving test first time

D. When you complete the Pass Plus scheme

The cost of insurance varies with your age and how long you've been driving. Usually, the younger you are, the more expensive it is, especially if you're under 25.
Pass Plus provides additional training to newly qualified drivers. The scheme is recognised by many insurance companies, and taking this extra training could give you reduced insurance premiums, as well as improving your skills and experience.

A. To have a car with dual controls


B. To be at least 21 years old

C. To be an approved driving instructor

D. To hold an advanced driving certificate

Learner drivers benefit by combining professional driving lessons with private practice. However, you need to be at least 21 years old and have held your driving licence for at least 3 years before you can supervise a learner driver.



A. Up to seven days after the old certificate has run out


B. When driving to an MOT centre to arrange an appointment

C. When driving the car with the owner’s permission

D. When driving to an appointment at an MOT centre

When a car is three years old (four years old in Northern Ireland), it must pass an MOT test and have a valid MOT certificate before it can be used on the road. Exceptionally, you may
• drive to a pre-arranged test appointment or to a garage for repairs required for the test
• drive vehicles that are more than 40 years old without an MOT test, but they must be in a roadworthy condition before being used on the road. See GOV.UK for more details.

A. When it's one year old


B. When it's three years old

C. When it's five years old

D. When it's seven years old

The vehicle you drive must be roadworthy and in good condition. If it's over three years old, it must pass an MOT test to remain in use on the road (unless it's exempt from the MOT test – see GOV.UK).

A. Damage to your vehicle


B. Damage to other vehicles

C. Injury to yourself

D. All damage and injury

Third-party insurance cover is usually cheaper than comprehensive cover. However, it doesn’t cover any damage caused to your own vehicle or property. It only covers damage and injury you cause to others.